January 23, 2013

Discovering Self-Control

photo from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

I am 30 pounds from a healthy weight.  That works out to be about 10 pounds per baby.  I want to lose the weight.  It is on my list of new years resolutions.  I have been low carbing it since the new year.  Starting off with a bang, I quickly dropped the 10 pounds I gained over Christmas, leaving me with these stubborn 30 pounds that seem to love my body so much.  Today, I stepped on the scale to see that I had put 4 pounds back on.... NO!  Of course, being honest with myself, I am not surprised.  I have been cheating on my diet...  which in reality is like cheating on myself.

When the husband called me this morning to see how Little K (sick with a cold) and Big K (up last night with a stomach cramp) were doing, I was in tears.  Lack of sleep does not help, but I was feeling angry with myself.  Why do I have no self-control?  

Galatians 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


We just discussed this scripture in our Sunday school class.  The Spirit IS love, period.  If you have love, the rest will follow.   I know God loves me.  I love Him, and I love others.  Why do I not have self-control?



Yesterday, at the grocery store, I passed the chip aisle and spied my most favorite snack: Tostitos with lime.  I can eat the entire bag in one sitting.  I fought every fiber in my body to not throw a bag in my cart.  I know I would have that bag open, sitting next to me on the front seat, devouring it before we even got home.  I did NOT buy them.  I showed some restraint...  self-control!  I told my husband this story and he said , "See? You ARE making progress."

Progress.  Mary Beth over at New Life Steward has a WIP (work in progress) Wednesday link-up.   She asks you to share what God is doing in your life.  It not about what YOU are working on your life, but what GOD is working on in your life. 

WIPWednesday

 
So, am I trying to lose weight just for myself without God's help?  I have told friends that I want to be a healthy, positive example for my daughters.  A bigger reason has to do with self-confidence.  Not only do I need to love God and love others, but I need to love myself.  This leads back to my one word for 2013, discovery.  I need to discover MYSELF, and what I am called to do.  Learning to love me, for who I am and the potential of who I can be, is a huge part of that.  I KNOW God is helping me with that part.  And, with His help, I can practise self control.

Philipians 1:6

Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

 
So, what is God working on in your life?
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment