January 7, 2013

It's Monday! Time to Plan & Play!

Hopefully this post does not come across completely boring!  Friends ask for tips on being a stay-at-home mom, so I am going to share some things that have helped me.

About five years ago, someone posted a link to Fly Lady on a message board.  I checked it out, and to be honest, didn't find it all that helpful.   However,  I have come back to it from time to time, and now use a few of her methods to prevent what she calls CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrom).  Now, I must preface this by saying I am not always consistent.  There are days (yes, even weeks) when I completely abandon any notion of routine.  However, my family is much happier when that is not the case. 

One of the categories you can find on her launch pad is "Daily Focus".  Each day the daily focus changes.  One day is "Plan & Play".  I think it is actually her focus for Tuesday but I like to do it on Monday.  So, I do it my way!

Part 1: Plan

Cozi on my phone
The first thing I like to do is review my calendar for the week.  I have been using Cozi and like it for a few reasons.  One is that I can access it on my laptop and my phone.  I also can set it up to send myself (or anyone else who needs reminding, like my darling husband) text reminders for events.  Oh, and it is free!

This week is busy as usual!  Cheerleading, gymnastics, helping de-decorate the church for Christmas, a Girl Scout cookie rally, and a birthday party are the highlights.  I am hoping to squeeze in some one-on-one time with the hubby (one of my New Year Resolutions!)



www.orgjunkie.com
 
The next thing I like to do is plan a menu for the week.  I was using The Fresh 20.  The menu plans are not free, but they helped with my transition to "real food".   I am picking up a produce basket this evening.  Since I know what is in it, that helps with planning too.





Another step for me is to review my spending from the past week. I love Mint.com beacause it pulls all your financial accounts into one place. Oh, and it is free too!   I have been using this website for awhile, but over the last three months have been very diligent in hopes of setting a budget.  We have some projects on the house and a possible trip to Disney to save for.




Something new for me will be to plan an organizing project. This week I will attempt to organize my pantry. I have been happily pinning away to my "Pantry Organization" board on Pinterest. More on that later!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Part 2: PLAY!

Some books that I had requested were on hold for me at the library so that is where we headed late this morning.  I had picked out a couple winter-themed books for the girls, a couple American Girl books for my oldest, and a few books for myself too.  I love to read and have been using Goodreads lately.  I like this site because it is free too!  No really, it is fun to keep track of what I am reading, what others are reading, plus it connects to Facebook, Twitter, and I can access it on my phone.

After a little while at the library, we walked the couple blocks to the bank so I could cash a check.  Working on another resolution - getting the kids outside every day!  I love the little town I live in, and we all enjoyed our winter walk.


Excuse the watermark on picture - I am currently trying out this software!

No comments:

Post a Comment