January 25, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Again

I am going to try to participate in Lisa-Jo's "Five Minute Friday."

Five Minute Friday

"So now on Fridays a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write without worrying if it’s just right gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes."

Prompt Word: Again

"-gin, -gin"  My two year old has been using this word for awhile now.  Read the book again, tickle me again, and on and on.  There are times I think she would be happy spending the entire day singing "I'm a little teapot". 

I have been reading a lot of blog posts lately about living in the moment with your children.  I wish, desperately, that I was a mother with the ability to read "Goodnight Moon" a hundred times to please my daughter.  Why can't I be that mother?

I recently posted a bunch of pictures on a Facebook group page of my home.  Our group met over six years ago, bonding over pregnancy.  For six years we have been sharing our lives via the internet. The pictures we posted were to be our home exactly as it was, no sprucing up.  I looked around my house, and shuddered.  There were Barbie clothes littering the floor and I hadn't cleaned up after lunch yet.   I tidied up a bit and posted the pictures. 

My friends commended me on a clean house.  I should have felt more pride.  However, all I could think of were these words I had been reading on letting the laundry sit, and spending more time with your children.  Who cares if my house is clean... sadly, I do.  That is why I couldn't post honest pictures about the state of my home.

But where does the balance lay?  If I spend all day having tea parties, I won't have time to do laundry.  Or, when am I supposed to spend some time on me and my needs?  When Little K asks to do it "-gin" how do I know when it right to say yes or say no?  



4 comments:

  1. I love your honesty in this. I think as moms, this is something we all struggle with. We want the balance, we want the clean house and quality time with the kids. I have never been a neat freak. I promised my husband that after we married, I would keep a clean house. Well, I think I did a good job until I had kids. 3 boys. It was easy to "let the house" go. To spend time being a mom. Yet, I had that fear that someone from church or work would show up at my door on a day you couldn't see the kitchen table or bar in the kitchen because they became catch alls. But I've come to realize, my world revolves around my family. Laundry will always be there. Dishes will continue to to get dirty. Dust will continually be ruled by gravity. But my children are growing. They are gifts that must be cherished. They are not promised to us forever.

    Sorry this is a "book," but you really made me reflect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! I also have three kids, girls though. I really need to learn to "let the house go". Axiety seems to get the best of me on this one. I like your thought about "gifts to be cherished". Exactly the reasoning behind my blog title. Treasures.

      Delete
  2. This is a constant struggle for me. The only way I feel like I've achieved some balance is to live the mantra "one for me, one for them". If I need to run errands we go to the park first... If I want to run a broom and mop then I do something with the kids first for 30 minutes. However by no means do I feel like I achieve this every day and I definitely need to do more with the kids, but I feel torn by the need to have everything presentable. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I L-O-V-E your mantra Erin! I so need something like this that my over analytical brain can wrap itself around. I don't think we are the only ones that struggle with this. I just may have to adopt your thought into my day-to-day life as well. Hope you all are doing well!

      Delete